Hi hi hello.
I couldn’t be more excited to share this caramel cinnamon roll recipe with you all!! If you’ve been following me on Instagram, then you know these are the best cinnamon rolls ever.
So good- in fact, that my mom went crazy over them during Christmas this past year. She was literally JUMPING UP AND DOWN. I’ve never seen her more active???
Anyways, Craig’s mom (Joyce) is a PRO baker. She can practically whip up bread with her eyes closed. This recipe is passed down from her mom, and her mom’s mom, etc, etc.
And now for the first time ever… this recipe is shared with the world! Jk. Just you guys! If you make it, be sure to tag me on Instagram so I can share it with her :)
Joyce’s Pro tips:
• When letting your dough rise: warm oven slightly, turn off oven, place dough in slightly warmed oven. Yeast develops better in draft free warm dark space. Cover dough bowl with dry towel to prevent drafts.
•When making the caramel do it in the microwave- there’s less room for error (than on the stove) and it’s faster!
•Place caramel pan on a flat surface so the caramel does not run all to one side. Sprinkle with crushed pecans- you can add as much as you like!
•Can prepare caramel pan ahead of time while dough is rising. It is okay if butter/caramel rests.
• After rolls are done baking, do not wait too long to turn the rolls over when they come out of the oven (so they don’t stick to the pan). Run a knife around the edge and shake the pan slightly when tipping them over onto a cookie sheet.
Mama Joyce’s Caramel Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 packages active dry yeast (1/4 ounce each)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cup bread flour (divided) Save the 4th cup & add slowly into mixer. Save the 5th cup for surface and kneading.
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 cube butter (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped or crushed (you can put as many as you like)
Filling + Cinnamon Sugar
- 1/2 cube butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a cup, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let activate for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, add wet ingredients: 1 egg, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup half & half, 2 tbsp melted butter and activated yeast (from step 1). Blend with mixer.
- Add dry ingredients: 3 cup flour, 5 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt. Stir to mix. Add additional 1 cup flour until you get a dough consitency.
- Flour your surface with 1/2 cup flour. Add your dough to surface. Add 1/2 cup flour to top of dough. knead until smooth and elastic (2-3 minutes). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel sauce. Melt butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in microwave for 2 minutes (stir at 1 minute mark). Pour into a greased 13×9-in baking dish. Sprinkle with pecans- set aside.
- Grab your dough (after rising for the first time) and turn it onto a floured surface. Roll into a 17×15 in rectangle as evenly as possible. Spread melted butter to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Combine cinnamon + sugar and sprinkle it over the dough.
- Roll it up (jelly-roll style). Cut 20 pin wheel slices.
- Place cut side down in the caramel sauce (9×13 dish). Cover with a towel and let it rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 F until golden brown. Check at 20 minute mark. Test the center with your hand to see if it still feels doughy. If any of your swirls popped out of its center, you can gently push it back at this time. Bake for total of 25-30 minutes.
- Let stand 2 minutes. Run a knife along the edges, then invert onto serving platter. Enjoy!